Breaking News

Santa Fe Network

The Official Student News Site of Santa Fe High School

Newspaper: The Howler
Broadcast: KSFN

Santa Fe Network

Santa Fe Network

Upcoming Events

Super Bowl LVIII: storylines and stakes

The Kansas City Chiefs face off against the San Francisco 49ers in Las Vegas on Feb. 11 in Super Bowl LVIII (58). The 49ers are playing to end a 29-year Super Bowl victory drought, while the Chiefs look to cement their dynasty in NFL History. 

Kansas City

The Kansas City Chiefs triumphed over the Baltimore Ravens in a 17-10 nail biter. With a Lamar Jackson interception, two fumbles and 95 yards in penalties, the Ravens really did beat themselves. That’s not to say the Chiefs didn’t bring their A-game; Mahomes threw for 241 yds and one touchdown. Travis Kelce had a great game, receiving 116 yards and scoring one touchdown. After keeping nine rookie defensive linemen last season, the Kansas City defense has blossomed into an immovable object, holding Baltimore to 255 passing and 81 rushing yards. 

Kansas City is looking to win back-to-back Super Bowls, a feat not accomplished since the New England Patriots when they won in 2003 and 2004. If they triumph over San Francisco, they would join a list of only seven teams to win back-to-back Super Bowls. Kansas City could establish a dynasty, a difficult thing to do, especially in today’s world of salary caps and free agency deals.

San Francisco

The San Francisco 49ers had a comeback win over the Detroit Lions to guarantee their spot in Super Bowl LVIII. After a dominant first half from Detroit, which put San Francisco down 24-7, San Francisco bounced back in one of the strongest halves in NFL history. They scored on all five possessions: two field goals and three touchdowns. Their defense got crucial stops; Detroit only scored one additional touchdown. The final score was 34-31, and a San Francisco victory.

San Francisco, once again, has a chance to end a 29-year Super Bowl victory drought. In the last 29 years, San Francisco has been to the Super Bowl two times, falling to the Ravens in 2012 and the Chiefs in 2020. But this year, with QB Brock Purdy setting records and the Shanahan system being as strong as it always is, paired with the momentum and spirit of the 49ers Faithful, San Francisco is in a great position to join the Steelers and Patriots with the most Super Bowl wins (6). 

You can watch Super Bowl LVIII on CBS or Paramount Sunday, Feb. 11. There will also be a Nickelodeon showing, with Spongebob’s ‘Sweet Victory’ kicking off the festivities. Kick off is at 5:30.