Breaking News

Santa Fe Network

The Official Student News Site of Santa Fe High School

Newspaper: The Howler
Broadcast: KSFN

Santa Fe Network

Santa Fe Network

Upcoming Events

Wolves dominate Yukon on path to playoffs

Bella Lansberg

After losing to Owasso one week ago, the Wolves were looking to bounce back with a victory over Yukon. The Wolves got that and then some.

At the start of the game, Santa Fe received the ball and went three and out. Yukon received a punt and didn’t get far until they had a turnover. After a great drive from the Wolves, Quasim Kareem scored his first touchdown. Santa Fe went for a 2-point attempt, which was unsuccessful, but Santa Fe was still on the board and up 6-0.

This pattern continued for the rest of the first quarter. The SF defense did not allow a single point. Thanks to touchdowns from Maliki Davis, Trey Whalan and even a pick-6 from Bergin Kysar, all complete with extra points thanks to kicker Kale Purvis, the quarter ended 27-0 Santa Fe.

In the second quarter, Santa Fe continued its dominance, only allowing one touchdown and scoring an additional 17 points from two touchdown passes and a field goal. The Wolves were confident being up 44-7 going into the half.

The second half started with a great kick from Kale Purvis and a mishandling from Yukon, leaving the ball at the Yukon 5. Tray Robinson stopped a Yukon touchdown attempt, but they scored soon after, leaving the score 44-14 Santa Fe.

A phenomenal drive with runs from Tray Robinson and Whalan ended with a touchdown from Alexander Limas and an extra point from Purvis. The score is 51-14. Santa Fe could not find another touchdown this quarter but ended with a 28-yard field goal to bring the score 54-14.

With such a dominant lead over the Millers, Santa Fe allowed two additional touchdowns in the fourth quarter. The game ended with a dominant Santa Fe victory 54-28.

Santa Fe head coach Kyle White was very pleased with his team’s victory heading into the postseason. Coach White wants his team to continue playing at the same level and thinks good things will come from that.

“If we played how we played all year,” White said, “I feel good about the next several weeks.”

There is no guarantee Santa Fe will go far but based on our current standings (3rd in the division and 6-3 this season) and how well we have played this year, there is a great chance of doing well in playoffs. If all of the higher-seeded teams win their first playoff round, we will see many rematches from earlier in the season: Union v. Westmoore and Santa Fe v Jenks. But the game is not played on paper and there’s no guarantee playoffs will go the way we think.

“I’m sure there will be an upset this week,” White said. “Hopefully it’s not us.”

Coach White is not making bold claims about the team’s State championship chances. He says his mantra is to simply ‘take it one week at a time.’

Santa Fe will be playing against Enid on Nov. 10 for the first playoff game of the postseason. It will be a home game with $8 tickets and will be streamed at krefsports.tv. All are encouraged to come cheer on our Wolves as we kick off our postseason.

Playoffs will continue for one month, and we will have a state champion on Dec. 1. You can find out more statistics about all Oklahoma state rosters at maxpreps.com, including team standings, player highlights and individual player rankings.