Santa Fe Network

The Official Student News Site of Santa Fe High School

Newspaper: The Howler
Broadcast: KSFN

Santa Fe Network

Santa Fe Network

Upcoming Events

Apple Vision Pro: cutting edge or cataclysmic?

Olive Miller

Apple’s newest product, the Apple Vision Pro, has arrived and is already making ripples on social media.

“The era of spatial computing is here,” said Apple in a commercial announcing the product.

The Apple Vision Pro, released last Friday (February 2, 2024), is a step up from previous virtual reality devices, like the Meta Quest (by Meta), because it functions as a much more immersive VR headset, merging reality and virtual reality by using apps in the visual space. It does this by utilizing the space the user is in and overlaying Apple technology (like FaceTime, Safari and your Gallery), allowing for a foot in the digital world as well as the real world. 

However, for its potential benefits, the product is already seeing an incredible onslaught of downsides. 

In a post on X, formerly known as Twitter, Mika (@mikadontlouz) shows a video of a man walking around a mall with his Vision Pro on.

“We are literally in a Black Mirror episode,” said Mika in the caption.

The post, as of now, has amassed a whopping 2.8 million views and 1.8 thousand reposts.

Many users across social media platforms share the same sentiment as Mika and have commented on the disconnect that the Apple Vision Pro is causing. However, if there are real consequences, they will most likely remain undetected for some time.

Until then, try and resist driving or running with the Apple Vision Pro because those consequences have definitely already been detected.