Santa Fe Network

The Official Student News Site of Santa Fe High School

Newspaper: The Howler
Broadcast: KSFN

Santa Fe Network

Santa Fe Network

Upcoming Events

Priscilla (2023)

Priscilla (2023)
filmaffinity.com

The highly anticipated film directed by Sofia Coppola depicts the relationship of Priscilla Beaulieu and Elvis Presley from start to finish in the 2023 film Priscilla

The film opens with young Priscilla played by Cailee Spaeny sitting in a diner. One of Elvis’s friends approaches her and asks if she likes Elvis Presley.

“Of course, who doesn’t?” She responds. 

At 14 years old Priscilla meets 24 year old Elvis Presley played by Jacob Elordi. Throughout the rest of the film, we see the pair’s bond grow from the perspective of Priscilla. The events follow stories from Priscilla’s memoir ‘Elvis and Me’ as Coppola wanted to shine a different light on the king of Rock and Roll. 

Despite seeing the movie weeks ago, there are aspects of the film that I have not stopped thinking about. One being that Elvis and Priscilla are both significant cultural figures but we only know the majority about Elvis. Sure Elvis was the star, but is it possible that the things that he was doing behind the scenes could have made him less popular than he was? 

For instance, Priscilla was 14 when they met while Elvis was 24. At the time, no one really knew her age so they couldn’t ask, but if they knew the truth would it have made a difference? 

During the 1960s, women were forced to play the traditional role of being wives and mothers while staying home and keeping quiet which was what Priscilla did. Speaking to the media about her relationship wasn’t something I could picture Priscilla doing which is one of the reasons why I think Elvis really liked her. 

Another reason that this movie has been on my mind is the cinematography and soundtrack. Sophia Coppola knew what she was doing and she knew her audience which is why I love her work. My favorite song that played during the movie was “Forever” by the Little Dippers because it emanates the same vibe the movie does. There were very few times where I was not entranced by the shots on the screen. I, usually not the type to physically react to a movie, found myself gasping multiple times throughout the viewing.  

My final reason is Jacob Elordi. Yes, he’s attractive, but he also did an amazing job playing the role of Elvis. His portrayal was better and felt more genuine than Austin Butlers in Elvis (2022) and he has another movie out in theaters right now. Talk about star power. 

My friends and family are tired of me talking about this movie, so to sum it all up it is worth the watch. It has something for everyone whether it be the cinematography, acting or soundtrack and Priscilla can be seen in theaters near you.