Santa Fe Network

The Official Student News Site of Santa Fe High School

Newspaper: The Howler
Broadcast: KSFN

Santa Fe Network

Santa Fe Network

Upcoming Events

Environmental club

A new environmentally friendly club at Santa Fe.
Environmental+club
Annabelle Gentling

On a cold, crisp, Saturday morning, Edmond Santa Fe’s Environmental Club was seen outside Frontier Elementary School planting flowers. The Environmental Club is one of Santa Fe’s newest clubs and is dedicated to making the community greener.

The President of the Environmental Club is environmental activist Ayla Relland. Relland is dedicated to all things green and wants to share this passion with not only the students of Santa Fe but kids around Edmond Public Schools.

“I’ve always been passionate about the environment,” said Relland. “I also think it’s really important to get younger people involved since it’s the next generation, so a major goal of mine, and the club, is to partner with elementary schools to get them interested as well”.

Her dream became a reality as various members started putting flowers into the mud and mulch in front of The Frontier Elementary. Everyone was working like clockwork getting flowers and various plants into the damp dirt.

Relland continues to reach out to multiple elementary schools about getting involved in their school programs, from flower gardens to teaching kids how to compost or the need for recycling, no task is more important than another for the Environmental club. 

Relland started the club because she believed there were too many environmental issues and not enough people helping out.

“A lot of people don’t seem to care, or they do and just don’t know what to do or how to help.” Said Relland. 

Vice President, Jade Hart, has also taken a stand in environmental activism. Hart, like Relland, has a dream to make changes in the green community. She thinks it’s important to show future generations of leaders how to properly care for the earth.

“For me, being a part of the Environmental Club means I have an opportunity to contribute to a sustainable future,” said Hart. “I joined the club to protect the environment, foster awareness, and work collaboratively with others who share similar values.”

If you’re interested in the environment or if you have a green thumb yourself, check out the sfhs.Environmentclub Instagram or Facebook for more information. 

“No matter how big or small the project is, the Environmental Club works to make a positive impact on the planet and inspire change for a greener, more sustainable world,” said Hart