Santa Fe Network

The Official Student News Site of Santa Fe High School

Newspaper: The Howler
Broadcast: KSFN

Santa Fe Network

Santa Fe Network

Upcoming Events

The Howler goes to Norman

Spring Media Day 2024

Santa Fe’s newspaper and broadcasting teams traveled to Norman on Apr. 16 and left with multiple awards after two semesters of preparation.

Santa Fe Howler Staff members celebrating their victories.

Oklahoma Scholastic Media (OSM) hosts two conferences a year with one in the spring and one in the fall. Advisors and students are welcomed to attend seminars, lectures and workshops in hopes of improving their journalism skills. OSM is located within the Gaylord College of Journalism and Mass Communication at the University of Oklahoma.

“It was very interesting to talk to people who have journalism experience,” said Eva Mitchell, first-year staff member. “It made me more interested in attending Gaylord in the future.”

Throughout the academic school year students are given the opportunity to submit articles into OSM and receive feedback from professionals with publication experience. Upon each submission, students are either given a ranking of superior, excellent, distinguished merit and merit. Superior and excellent works are eligible for individual awards at Spring Media Day. Students are also encouraged to participate in the “on-deadline” contest where timely writing abilities are tested.

“I liked the monthly contest more than on-deadline because receiving feedback throughout the year was very useful.” senior Peyton Doyle said.

After attending multiple sessions, students crowded into the large meeting room in the Thurman J. White Forum Building to receive awards.

Adviser Bray and her trophy for Advisor of the Year featuring Co-Editor-in-Chief Olive Miller laughing alongside her.

The Howler took home nine first place awards, two second place awards, one third place and five fourth place. KSFN, Santa Fe’s Broadcasting team, left Norman with four first place plaques, two second place awards, two third places and three fourth places. Stephanie Bray, the Howler adviser, took home Adviser of the Year for the second time.

“This year I share this award with my staff because without them this wouldn’t have been possible,” Bray said.

The OSM competition was full of many firsts and lasts for Santa Fe’s news and broadcasts staff. KSFN competed for the first time in several years….

“Overall I had a blast at Spring Media Day this year. It was incredible watching the entirety of the Santa Fe journalism team being recognized for their hard work from the year,” senior broadcasting member Caden Chavalitanonda said. “Winning 1st place in two categories and watching Mrs.. Bray win advisor of the year were the highlights. Spring Media Day applies not only as an incite into the world of journalism but as the stepping stones on the next chapter of my life.”

Several seniors on the Howler staff experienced their last OSM experience.

“It was a good ending to my senior year,” said senior editor-in-chief Alanna Ladeaux. “I’m gonna miss it and I am proud of the work I’ve done over the years.”