Edmond makes state championship history

Congratulations to all the Wolves players, coaches, and staff members on an amazing season!

Players+circle+around+the+silver+ball+trophy+at+the+conclusion+of+the+state+title+game.+

Photo Provided

Players circle around the silver ball trophy at the conclusion of the state title game.

William Hackney, Santa Fe Staff Writer

The last time, and the only time, Santa Fe made the Football State Championship was 17 years ago, losing to Jenks 17-10 in 2003. If Santa Fe was to win, it would have been the first time in a quarter century that a western team has won the state title. Sadly, that did not go as planned, as Santa Fe fell to Jenks 41-14. But this season was nowhere near a bad year!

“Having that 0-2 record, having everyone say we would not make it only motivated our team to work harder and prove everyone wrong” Senior Defensive Lineman Collin McQueen said, regarding the start to the season.

Santa Fe did lose to Owasso and Stillwater, weeks one and two, but rebounded quickly once they got home in week three all the way through the semifinals. Posting a 10 game win streak from September 11th through November 28th. Going from last to first place finish in the 6A-1 conference in a matter of two months, hosting all 4 playoff games against North, Westmoore, Union, and Jenks consecutively.

“Everyone on the team, players and coaches, should get all of the credit [towards this run], if it was not for everyone buying in, it would not be as great a season as it was,” said Junior Quarterback Scott Pfieffer following the end of the season.

It definitely cannot be run by just one person. Coaches and players all season were crediting the entire team towards the impressive run. Oklahoma State commit, Collin Oliver, along with many other players, did want to credit their amazing coaches for the run. 

“I’d credit the coaching staff most, they led us to believe we were good enough to compete at the highest level this year. We bought in and achieved what many would deem impossible for a western team” Senior Linebacker Collin Oliver said.

Jenks is definitely a great squad., as they earned their 17th gold ball. Santa Fe was supposed to play Jenks week seven, but that game got cancelled due to COVID complications. Players and coaches alike saw that as no setback but instead more time to prepare for this run they had planned.

Although Santa Fe hosted all four playoff games, only two were played at Santa Fe. The semi finals were at Owasso High School, hosting Union High School. Then the finals were hosted at University of Central Oklahoma Wantland Stadium, against Jenks High School. The new atmosphere produced a sense of excitement.

Collin Oliver commented, “The only impact it had was that it kicked our emotions up a whole lot, so we just had to calm ourselves down a bit and realize that it is a regular game.”

Players and coaches alike are already looking forward to a great 2021 season.

Scott Pfieffer said “I hope to continue the success next year, by continuing to do what we did this year.” and added “Every year, there are setbacks. You do not know what they are until they come, all we can do is take this same mentality as this year into next year.” regarding how the Wolves plan to rebuild this run in 2021.

It was an impressive year that many players have said is sad that it came to an end. Although it was the longest year that any of our players experienced, it can still feel short to some. 

Senior Ryan Denny said on his final year, “If I was to change anything from this year, I would just go back and try to take it all in more and appreciate all the little things because after the state game I realized how much I would miss it all. From the early morning workouts to the parking lot talks after practices with my teammates.” It can definitely be a tough, fun, wild season for seniors to let go of.