Blacklight kicks off DWDW with a bang!

Leah Parkhurst and Luke Roberson

Zachary Mcnaught, Howler Staff Writer

The first day of 2023’s Double Wolf Dare Week (DWDW) started the same as it has for years: with its traditional Blacklight assembly during the day and the Blacklight assembly at night.

NYAJ founder and employee. (Zachary Mcnaught)

The assembly started with Not Your Average Joe’s (NYAJ) founder Tim Herbel giving some more insight into the inner workings of NYAJ and introduced us to Danielle Robinson a Santa Fe alumni who found a home and a career at NYAJ.

The Blacklight assembly had an impressive roster of Santa Fe’s Cheer, Pom, Color Guard, Stomp and Drumline.

Cheer’s pyramid in the dark! (Zachary Mcnaught)

Cheer performed first, they performed to multiple songs some of which included “Boy’s a Liar” by Ice Spice and “Creepin” by the Weekend.

Pom poses for the crowd. (Zachary Mcnaught)

Then, Pom performed wowing the crowd with their impressive routine. They chose to dance to songs such as “No Hands” by Wocka Flocka Flame and “Rich Flex” by 21 Savage.

“I thought it was a great performance that showed a lot of skill and talent,” senior Cameron Kim said.

Color Guard in Blacklight! (Zachary Mcnaught)

Next, the Color Guard performed impressive work with their flags and rifles. Some songs they chose include “I Need a Hero” by Bonnie Tyler and “Sweet Dreams’’ by Beyonce.

“I found Color Guard’s performance to be beautiful, vivid, and breathtaking,” senior Nadia Elhaji said. “They were all so great!” 

Stomping it out for DWDW. (Zachary McNaught)

Then, Stomp performed their signature routine which brought the crowd to life. They performed songs like “Munch” by Ice Spice.

“It was amazing!” junior Monica Zamora said. “They had great choreography and it was overall a sight to see and I want to see more from the STOMP team.” 

Lastly, Santa Fe’s drumline came out for not only the assembly but the blacklight dance as well. They played multiple of their cadences including “Cowboys,” “Shots” and “Owasso. ”

A crowd favorite: Drumline (Zachary Mcnaught)

“One of my favorite things about not only Blacklight but DWDW overall is drumline,” junior Mary Lollar said. “They always get the crowd so involved and just make us so hyped.”

The success and electric energy earlier in the day led to a packed gym for the Blacklight Dance in the evening.

The dance included all the aspects of the Black Light assembly, but the dance seemed to be more of a party than a school assembly. Students danced the night away with the musical stylings of Ms. Gatewood’s brother Tye Gatewood as the DJ. 

“It was an absolute rager,’’ said Student Council philanthropy chair Arav Jilka. 

Blacklight Dance Party. (Zachary Mcnaught)

Overall, the first day of DWDW left students excited for the rest of this very chaotic but caring week at the Fe.