America honors its veterans

The+wall+honoring+veterans+at+Santa+Fe.+

Alanna LaDeaux

The wall honoring veterans at Santa Fe.

Alanna LaDeaux, Howler Managing Editor

Veterans Day, also known as Armistice day, is a federal holiday with the purpose of honoring all military veterans and active service members. 

Veterans Day originated at the end of WWI on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918. The fighting ended with an armistice and the world was forever changed.

President Woodrow Wilson claimed the first Armistice day to be Nov. 11, 1919, one year after the end of WWI.

“To us in America, the reflections of Armistice Day will be filled with solemn pride in the heroism of those who died in the country’s service and with gratitude for the victory, both because of the thing from which it has freed us and because of the opportunity it has given America to show her sympathy with peace and justice in the councils of the nations…”, President Woodrow Wilson, said.

After WWII many citizens of the US began to transition from celebrating WWI veterans to celebrating all people who have and are currently serving in the military. 

One way that Edmond Santa Fe has decided to honor veterans is by putting up a mural of stars that have the names of veterans along with their branch and years they served.

“I like the idea of murals that honor our veterans,” said Cody Birsner, a U.S. Navy Machinist veteran. “As a veteran, seeing other veterans in murals like the one Santa Fe is making gives a reminder of the much greater sacrifice others have given so that we collectively can have so many rights and privileges.”

Morgan Mason, an AP U.S. History and U.S. History teacher at Santa Fe, organized the veteran star mural. She wanted a way that the kids of Santa Fe could pay respects to local veterans. 

“As Veterans Day is upon us, be sure to tell your friends to thank a veteran for their service,” Birsner said. 

There are many ways citizens can honor veterans. Making a card, sending a letter or just thinking of them. 

“We don’t know them all but we owe them all,” Morgan Mason, AP US History teacher said. 

Santa Fe students and faculty aren’t the only ones celebrating and honoring veterans. Many restaurants and stores are having veterans day sales. 

Here is a list of some stores and restaurants offering Veterans Day sales and deals

Joe’s Crab Shack

Joe’s Crab Shack offers 20% off for veterans on Sunday, Nov. 13.

It is valid for parties of up to four people with a valid ID. The offer is only available for dine-in orders.

Kohl’s

Veterans will be able to get 30% off their in-store purchases at Kohl’s from Friday, Nov. 11 through Sunday, Nov. 13.

The offer is available to active and former military personnel, veterans, and their immediate families with valid ID.

la Madeleine

Veterans who head to la Madeleine will be able to get 30% off any purchase all day on Nov. 11. The offer is good for all military veterans and active-duty service members with a military ID.

Oklahoma City National Memorial Museum

On Nov. 11, veterans will receive free admission to the Oklahoma City National Memorial Museum. Veterans must show a valid military ID.

Oklahoma City Zoo and Botanical Garden

During the month of November, active duty, National Guard general zoo admission and veteran members of the military reserves will receive free. The offer is good for 50% off general admission for up to four immediate family members.

A valid military ID is required. The discount is only available at the zoo ticket office, and no reservations are required.

Applebee’s

All veterans and active duty military members will receive a free entrée from a special menu.

BJ’s Restaurant & Brewhouse

All current and former military can enjoy a free meal from a selection of BJ’s favorites and a free Dr. Pepper beverage. Members must present a military ID or other proof of service.

Bondi Bowls

Bondi Bowls in Edmond is giving veterans 50% off their purchase on Friday, Nov. 11. Bondi Bowls is located at 136 E. 5th St. in Edmond.

Casey’s

Casey’s is providing free coffee on Veteran’s Day to active service members and veterans.

Dunkin

Dunkin’ is honoring military members with a free donut on Veteran’s Day. The limit is one per guest and no ID is required. It is available in-store only.

First Americans Museum

First Americans Museum will honor veterans from Nov. 11 through Nov. 14 with special tours and a history project. During that time, veterans and service members receive free gallery admission with an ID.

Also, veterans and service members receive 20 percent off their meal at Thirty Nine Restaurant and Arbor Cafe.

Fish City Grill

Fish City Grill is offering veterans and active-duty military personnel a free entrée on Veterans Day, Nov. 11.

The offer is good for one free entrée, worth up to $25.99, per veteran. It is available with dine-in and to-go orders.