Autumn Fashion- embracing the retro style

Fall+fashion+essentials.+

Annabelle Gentling

Fall fashion essentials.

Annabelle Gentling, Howler Staff Writer

As Autumn rolls around, we are starting to see the return of trends and aesthetics of Gilmore Girls, Dead Poets Society– and When Harry Met Sally. This fall season is all about welcoming back the retro styles of the ’90s and early 2000s. Keep reading to find out all the fall essentials and staples you need to get to make this fall your best one yet. 

Doc Martens– A staple of 90’s fashion, and the boot that keeps coming back. Doc Martens are a boot that you can pair with everything and anything. It’s the perfect shoe for fall, whether you wear a simple fall skirt or dress to the pumpkin patch on a chilly day, or bundling up against the biting wind. 

Chunky Sweaters– Considering chunky sweaters are a staple in Gilmore Girls, they should definitely be a staple in your closet as well. Chunky sweaters are something that you can wear time and time again in almost every season that comes your way. You can pair it with simple black jeans and your backpack, or over a simple dress when you’re fighting with your parents about your decisions over Friday night dinner (Emily and Richard, I’m looking at you). 

Plaid skirts– I, in all honesty, have no idea why we are reembracing the private school aesthetic, but that is something people are eagerly restyling this year, and they’re doing that through plaid pleated skirts. Doing so is a helpful way to focus on your studies and play the part of the studious student. 

Tote Bags– You might be wondering, “Why would I want to carry around more things this school year?” While that’s understandable, tote bags are a great way to conveniently carry your things and look fashionable while doing it. Tote bags are also customizable and you can even match your tote bag to your outfit.

These are just a few of the fall styles for this year, a mix of preppy glamor and small-town sentiment. This year the whole style is based on walking out of a feel-good film or having a ‘main character moment’. Though- and I can’t stress this enough- go out in what you feel comfortable. Fall is a time to hang out with friends and family and make memories. But remember to always do it in style, and make this fall the best one yet.