Wolves lose to Owasso in season opener

Wolves+take+the+field+for+the+first+time+this+season.+

Jett Birsner

Wolves take the field for the first time this season.

Jett Birsner, Howler Staff Writer

Last Friday, the Santa Fe Wolves took on the Owasso Rams at home for the season opener. The wolves were unable to walk away with the win losing 22-45.

Spirits were high when the wolves came out of the tunnel; The student section was riled up, and The wolves were ready to start a fresh season of football.

In the first quarter, Owasso scored first with a touchdown and followed with an extra point. It wouldn’t be long until Santa Fe responded scoring on a 48-yard touchdown pass from Scott Pfieffer to Talyn Shettron. This duo would then complete a two-point conversion and take the lead 8-7. With a minute to go in the first quarter, the Rams would score a touchdown and a two-point conversion to take their lead back. Owasso led 15-8.

In the second quarter, the Wolves came out hot with a 60-yard pass to Lb Reeves and a touchdown all within the first minute of the quarter which tied the game 15-15. Owasso would then run through traffic for a touchdown and score another touchdown on a 50-yard pass which put them in complete control for the rest of the game leading 29-15.

With a little more than two minutes remaining in the second quarter,  the Wolves were within inches from a touchdown, but a dropped pass, a consistent issue throughout the game prevented them from scoring and getting back into the game.

The third quarter would have been relatively uneventful had it not been for running back Demarius Robinson. Robinson carried the team in the third quarter converting on three consecutive first down opportunities. The Wolves were in scoring position but failed to convert on a fourth-down, and gave the ball back to Owasso. Owasso would score a touchdown a few minutes later leading 35-15.

Early in the fourth quarter, Santa Fe had a chance to score a touchdown, but due to some stellar Owasso defense, the Wolves were not able to complete the pass to Talyn Shettron. On Owasso’s next possession, they would run 75 yards for a touchdown driving the score to 42-15. Following the Owasso touchdown, the Wolves would throw an interception which would later result in the Rams completing a field goal to lead 45-15. With three minutes left in the game, the Wolves would respond with a touchdown of their own on a carry from Robinson to cut the lead to 23 points.

The Wolves left without a win. The final score was 45-22, Owasso.