The Wolves lose to the Huskies for the first time in eight years.



Daniel Newton (WR#4) Running for a first down.

Jett Birsner, Staff Writer.

Last Friday, Sept. 30, the Santa Fe Wolves played the Edmond North Huskies in the second of two edlam football matchups. The Wolves lost 35-36 and are now 0-5 on the season.

The Wolves and the Huskies played a game that was neck and neck from start to finish. The Wolves looked like the better team during most of the game, but they would have issues with penalties and fumbles that would lead to their downfall.

The Wolves started the game with the ball and quickly advanced to the opposing 22-yard line before fumbling. The Wolves defense would then completely shut down the Huskies and force a turnover on downs which gave the ball back to the Wolves at the 31-yard line. On the next two plays, Demarius Robinson (RB#6) ran the ball for a first down and then a touchdown, and the Wolves took the lead 7-0.

With 1:23 remaining in the first quarter, the Wolves fumbled the ball at the 48-yard line, and this swayed the momentum in favor of the Huskies going into the second quarter. During the Huskies’ first possession of the second quarter, they completed two passes to Sedrick Frazier (WR#6) that netted them a total of 52 yards and a touchdown. The Wolves responded almost immediately as Robinson ran up the middle for a 42-yard touchdown to retake the lead 14-7 with 9:28 remaining.

In the Huskies’ next possession, they were slow to gain yardage until the Wolves’ defense received flags for roughing the passer and pass interference. The Huskies, now within 10 yards of the endzone, ran in a touchdown, but the extra point attempt was blocked by Bergin Kysar (DL#1), and the Wolves retained their lead 14-13. Following the blocked kick, Kysar would score a 53-yard touchdown off of a pass from Malaki Miller (QB#7), and the Wolves led 21-13.

“I’m glad we stayed after practice to get that play,” Miller said.

With 1:50 left in the second quarter, the Wolves fumbled the football. The Huskies recovered the fumble, and one minute later, they scored a touchdown and completed a two-point conversion that tied up the game 21-21 going into halftime.

With 9:36 remaining in the third quarter, the Huskies took the lead via a touchdown pass to Sedrick Frazier. Three minutes later during a Husky drive, The Wolves intercepted the ball and began a drive that was capped off by a touchdown run from Tommy Hand (RB#31). The game was tied 28-28 going into the fourth quarter.

Demarius Robinson and Tommy Hand rushed for a combined 85 yards in the first two minutes of the quarter. The Wolves finished this drive with a touchdown and took the lead 35-28. 

In the last two minutes of the fourth quarter, the Huskies would make a 28-yard touchdown pass. They would follow this with a successful 2-point conversion that gave them the lead 36-35. The Wolves would throw an interception on their next possession, sealing the game for the Huskies.