EPS bond issue

Jett Birsner, Howler Managing Editor

The Edmond Board of Education has introduced a 120 million dollar bond issue that will be voted on Feb. 8. This bond issue will provide funding for school expansions, needed supplies and new land for schools to be built.

The bond is split into two propositions.

Proposition one will provide a majority of the funding and cover construction efforts such as classroom expansions, parking lot expansions and cafeteria expansions for elementary, middle and high schools as well as provide funding for everyday classroom needs such as technology funding, funding for fine arts, classroom supplies and instructional material. 

This proposition also includes quality of life improvements such as new water fountains, new heating and air conditioning. Funding to purchase land for entirely new schools will also be included in proposition one.

Proposition one will affect the following schools; Will Rogers Elementary, Angie Debo Elementary, Sunset Elementary, Northern Hills Elementary, Sequoyah Middle School, Central Middle School, Heartland Middle School, Cheyenne Middle school, Cimarron Middle school, summit middle school, Memorial High School, Santa Fe High School, North High school, Central Middle School, Orvis Risner Elementary, Frontier Elementary, John Ross Elementary and Boulevard Academy. 

Proposition two is dedicated solely to transportation. Three million dollars are going into making sure that there are enough buses for students to get to and from school safely and effectively, as well as purchases for high-capacity sports buses.

The bond issue is not expected to affect taxes.

Citizens residing in Edmond public school district will be able to vote on the bond issue at their normal voting precinct on Tuesday, Feb.8 from seven a.m. to seven p.m.