OKC National Memorial Museum essay contest

Claire Ash, Howler Staff Writer

On April 19, 1995, 168 individuals were killed in the bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building, downtown Oklahoma City (OKC).

To commemorate the people of the city, nation and world affected by the bombing, a 350-member task force that was brought together by a worldly act of terrorism, created the National Oklahoma City Memorial and Museum.

Their mission statement is: “We come here to remember those who were killed, those who survived and those changed forever. May all who leave here know the impact of violence. May this memorial offer comfort, strength, peace, hope and serenity.” 

Each year the Oklahoma City National Memorial Museum offers an essay contest to remember those whose lives were lost and complete their mission. 

The Oklahoma City Memorial education committee is interested in hearing how other young individuals and communities have shown strength and growth to overcome challenges or tragedies.

Students in grades 5 through 12 may participate in the essay contest to win a cash prize while also having the opportunity to be recognized at a ceremony in April 2022.

Last year, nearly 300 essays were submitted for the contest, the winning essays came from students in Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Arizona and Florida. 

If you are interested in entering or know anyone who would like to, you can register to enter Oklahoma City’s National Memorial essay contest for a chance to win.