Santa Fe Girls Soccer Continues Sensational Trend

Photo Provided

Senior girls L to R: Megan Wilson and Grace Hepner

Ethan Barnes, Santa Fe Staff Writer

Edmond Santa Fe girls soccer has always been a breeding ground for athletic talent. This year, two student-athletes have signed letters of intent to continue their athletic career at the collegiate level. Grace Hepner is signed with Friends University in Wichita, Kansas. The other collegiate signee is Megan Wilson, she is signed with the University of Central Oklahoma located right here in Edmond, Oklahoma. As the two signees look forward to their future, they must lead the girls to victory.

The soccer team has not experienced the kindest of seasons so far, having lost many heartbreaking games, fighting right until the final whistle. As of April 19, they currently have a record of 2-7, having lost five of their games by a margin of just one goal. Led by their seniors and their two college signees, they are hoping to be able to turn it around and make a run to the state tournament. With the season’s end coming closer, the two signees reflect on their careers.

Hepner has played soccer since she was four years old, having grown up with the sport she loves. She was named freshman of the year by her coach, Melissa Thompson, showing the impact she has made in her short time here. The energetic atmosphere of the team has reminded her why she fell in love with the sport in the first place. For Grace, heading to Friends University is a no-brainer because it gives her the opportunity to pursue her love of soccer while she continues her education.

Hepner said, “I love soccer and I couldn’t imagine my career ending so soon. I love playing with a big group of girls that have a positive attitude, love playing soccer, and love playing with each other. That was a big factor in deciding to play for the Friends University women’s soccer team; they are so positive and inclusive.”

Hepner’s teammate since freshman year, Wilson has been playing soccer since she was five, for a total of 13 years. She was named an All-City honorable mention in her sophomore year, providing outstanding performances one after another, with this year being no different. This season, Megan has played a pivotal role in the team’s performance, leading the team in goals. This season has been an experience for her as she prepares herself for her future soccer endeavors.

“I was given the opportunity to be team captain, allowing me to have a leadership role and letting me help our younger players and the ones around me.” said Wilson.

With the two college signees, Santa Fe continues its trend of a long history of excellence, giving students the amazing opportunity to further their career as student-athletes.