Santa Fe Network

The Official Student News Site of Santa Fe High School

Newspaper: The Howler
Broadcast: KSFN

Santa Fe Network

Santa Fe Network

Upcoming Events

Got guts?

Santa Fe’s 2023 blood drive
Drew Lunsford
Seniors Ryan Funderburk, Nate Viers, Alex Smith

On Sept. 18, the Oklahoma Blood Institute came to Santa Fe High School. 

In order to give blood, donors have to be at least 110 pounds, 16-years-old and have no health issues.To donate plasma, donors need to be 125 pounds and at least 5 feet 5 inches tall. 

Why donate? When you donate blood, you are helping potentially anyone and everyone. For instance, when someone comes into the ER and they need blood, your blood could save their life. 

Senior Erica Landwehr (Drew Lunsford)

After giving blood, phlebotomists will provide you with food and drinks. This is because your body is 60 – 80% made out of water, so when you donate blood you are losing some of the water in your body causing you to feel dehydrated which can also make you feel light headed. 

“It is always good to eat something salty and to have gatorade after giving blood so your body can start to function properly,” a phlebotomist at the Santa Fe blood drive said. 

Before having blood drawn, you have to go through a series of testings. This includes evaluating blood pressure and blood sugar and looking at your past medical history. 

Senior Channing Hill (Drew Lunsford)

Donating blood can be a nerve-wracking experience for some but the outcomes of these donations far outweigh the fear. 

Senior Avery Butler (Drew Lunsford)

“It honestly was super easy; I did this when I was a sophomore as well and this time it was a lot better,” senior Avery Butler said. 

Oklahoma Blood Institute thanks you for donating. If you missed this year’s blood drive at Santa Fe, you can always go to one of their locations on your own time.