Breaking News

Santa Fe Network

The Official Student News Site of Santa Fe High School

Newspaper: The Howler
Broadcast: KSFN

Santa Fe Network

Santa Fe Network

Upcoming Events

Culture Fair 2024

A+student+getting+henna+in+the+Bangladesh+booth.+
Drew Lunsford
A student getting henna in the Bangladesh booth.

On Feb.16 , Santa Fe celebrated its diversity in culture day, with a culture fair that lasted 1 through 5 hours, and a fashion and talent show during the 6th hour. 

The culture fair featured booths from 43 countries from South Asia to North America with traditional foods, products like henna. At the end, raising $11.5K for Double Wolf Dare Week (DWDW). In between, there were dances from Mexico, Palestine and Native Americans, such as The Round Dance, where many students joined. 

Spanish Honor Society members encompassed different Hispanic speaking countries and sold products like churros, conchas, chips and salsa, piña colada and horchata. 

“They [churros] were gone in a second”, said Sejin An, member of the Hispanic Honor Society.

Beef rendang and three-layered pandan cake sold at the Malaysia booth.

People kept going back to the Malaysian booth to get more beef rendang, a savory, delicious Malaysian dish paired with white rice. The booth was also selling iced Milo, a sweet chocolate drink straight out of the heart of Malaysia. Lastly, a three-layered pandan cake, a sweet and beautiful dessert.

“I love how diverse and unique the culture of Malaysia is.” said Lex Chiang, a Malaysian student operating the booth.

Ethiopia booth at the culture fair ran by Makeda Dawit and Arsema Simachew.

The Ethiopian booth ran by Makeda Dawit and Arsema Simachew sold their Difo Dabo, a sweet spiced bread and Shai, traditional tea. “These dishes are known as a staple and most common breakfast food,” Dawit said.

In Ethiopia, food is also eaten from one plate and fed between people by giving each other bites called “gursha,” which reflects on the communal and familial bonds held tight within the country’s society.

Costa Rica sold delicious empanadas and arroz con pollo, typical Costa Rican food.

“I choose this to represent my country because it’s my favorite food my grandma makes,” said Savannah Leclaire, proudly of her Costa rican family.  

Students representing the Native American Student Association (NASA) sold fry bread, corn beans, grape dumplings, sweet meat and squash, and did a raffle for beadwork, with beautiful and traditional designs. 

The cultural fashion show was held during 6th hour, students modeled with their traditional clothes, and there were performances such as Bollywood dances by Varsha Nair and Andrea Shah.

Palestine booth at the culture fair.