A cute, calming, humble story – Slime Rancher Review

Leah Parkhurst, Howler Staff Writer

Slime Rancher is a first-person, indie, open-world adventure game. In the game, you play as Beatrix (Bea) LeBeau, an adventurous rancher.

Bea has left earth, and now lives on an alien planet inhabited by many species of little slime creatures. These slimes produce “plorts”, which can be sold for varying prices. With the money you earn, you can upgrade your ranch and equipment.

The slimes featured in the games come in varying sizes, abilities and diets. For instance, phosphor slimes can fly for short periods of time but will evaporate in the sun; likewise, the hunter slimes can turn invisible briefly but are more aggressive and can break out of their corral if not soothed.

The type of plot produced depends on the species of the slime. The rarer and harder to contain slimes produce more expensive plorts. Feeding a slime its favorite food will make it produce two plorts instead of one.

While you’re staying on the “Far, Far Range”, you can accept commissions from a variety of different callers to do tasks. Such as capture a certain species of slime or harvest certain crops to earn extra money in the game.

Your goal when playing is to progress through the game, learn the story of ‘H’ (the person who previously inhabited your farm before he disappeared) and discover the secrets of the Far Far Range.

Slime Rancher has a very loyal fanbase. With a 98 percent approval on google and overwhelmingly positive reviews on Steam, it is safe to say that a large majority of players adore this game.

Its soothing soundtrack, unique environments and adorable creatures make for a relaxing way to spend time.

“It’s the best management game possible,” sophomore Braxton Knapp said. “It doesn’t feel like a hassle taking care of the slimes. It gives you things to do while waiting for things to happen on your farm like platforming and exploration.”

The biggest criticism players have with this game, apart from technical issues, is that it’s boring. Indeed, this game is not very action-packed, but it’s also not meant to be.

Slime Rancher is an adventure game with aspects of a life/farm simulator mixed in. If these genres aren’t your style, this game might not be for you..

“Slime Rancher is a relaxing experience, the art is beautiful, the story is great,” sophomore Andrew Newell said. “It’s all-around a relaxing and great experience.”

Slime Rancher is available with the Xbox Game Pass and can be bought for $19.99 on Steam. It’s compatible with Windows, macOS, Linux, Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch.

Even if you only ever play FPS games, I highly recommend you give Slime Rancher a shot. It’s a calming, wholesome and all-around lovely experience.