Cybersecurity specialist visits Santa Fe

Oleksandr Marmuta, Howler Staff Writer

Detective Sgt. James Kushmaul, a digital forensics investigator in the Edmond Police Department (EPD) talked to Mrs. James’s students about rearranging cybersecurity classes. 

Cybersecurity (CS) has become a major part of everyday life, and Mr. Kushmaul wanted to share his experience and concerns with Santa Fe students.

I think CS is a huge part of STEM,” Mr. Kushmaul said.”Besides the obvious discussion on the subject matter of computers and the science of computers, there is creativity, critical thinking skills, and logical reasoning. These core concepts are then cross-applied to not only biology, chemistry, and algebra, but also the area of engineering and other vastly growing tech careers (robotics, IT, cyber, etc.). The development of deep critical thinking skills and logical thinking exercises which make up CS classes are key to advanced brain development which will pay dividends to students.

Mr. Kushmaul firmly believes that kids should be introduced to cybersecurity before their teenage years, so by the time they reach high school they will have an interest in cybersecurity, or at least know the basics of it; so they can be safer in the world of advanced technologies we will live in.

“We live in an advanced technological world, which is growing daily,” Mr. Kushmaul said.”It is a part of our youth’s daily lives. As a result, our youth, our teenagers, must be educated in cybersecurity and computer science, for their own safety and the safety of their children. If our teenagers don’t get interested in cybersecurity, they will be left in the dark much like their parents are today… but much worse.”