Not Your Average Feature

Channing Hill, Howler Copy Editor

As many students and staff may know, Not Your Average Joe is Santa Fe’s Double Wolf Dare Week (DWDW) recipient for 2023. But, do you know exactly what the money is benefitting? Here is an inside look at what  Santa Fe is supporting through DWDW, and how their generosity is impacting the community. 

Jared Cooling, Not Your Average Joe’s midtown manager, said that the money raised at DWDW is helping to fund the construction of an Edmond location. Specifically, the money will go toward getting new equipment, constructing the building itself and hiring new staff and friends. 

The term “friends” is used to describe those employees at Not Your Average Joe that have intellectual, developmental or physical disabilities. 

“I know I personally enjoy working here because of the friendships we have with all employees, whether they’re a barista or a friend,” said Ethan Sellers, the manager for the incoming Edmond location. “Bringing awareness is also a super important part of this job.”

Another way that Not Your Average Joe benefits their community and employees is by showing other organizations that it’s possible to work alongside those that may have a disability. 

“Right now, after you graduate high school, about 82% of people with disabilities don’t have a job. And if you don’t have a disability, that percentage is more around 2-4%.” Sellers said. 

Not Your Average Joe’s mission statement is, “Our mission is to inspire our community by including students and adults with intellectual, developmental, and physical disabilities in the creation of exceptional coffee in an encouraging atmosphere.” 

Thanks to the efforts of Santa Fe and DWDW, Not Your Average Joe will be able to spread their kindness and love for everyone in the Edmond community.