Solar Santa Fe

JW Peters

Oklahoma Solar Power’s proposition for “Solar Santa Fe”

Olive Miller, Co Editor-in Cheif

Known for its windy, sunny and abundant natural resources, Oklahoma offers many opportunities for renewable energy, which begs the question: How do we not have more resources for renewable energy? 

Renewable energy, especially in today’s age, is becoming a large topic of discussion for people all over the United States and the world. Renewable energy stems from infinite resources, burns fewer fossil fuels and reduces greenhouse gas emissions significantly. Because of this discovery, several states and countries have begun the incorporation of renewable energy into their energy facilities. 

Last April, Oklahoma Senate approved the Oklahoma Energy Initiative Act, which is a bill that is working to further research for renewable energy integration into the electrical grid. Alongside that bill, the Inflation Reduction Act was passed which includes a direct payment option for nontaxable entities, including schools and city governments.

This act and bill will encourage the discussion of renewable energy in Oklahoma, and open up opportunities for renewable energy here, at Santa Fe.

“Opening the door to renewable energy would show students we can use other sources of energy to power things like schools and large buildings,” said Stephanie Lewis, an Environmental Science Teacher at Santa Fe. “It might also start conversations about what renewable energy is and how it impacts our daily lives.”

Renewable energy would help to solve not only energy problems but budgeting problems as well. While the initial installation of solar panels can be a bit pricey, in the long run, solar energy will end up making large cuts in electrical costs, time and resources. 

“I am confident that installing a solar generation system at Edmond Santa Fe High School would be beneficial,” said J.W. Peters, president of Solar Power of Oklahoma. “Not only would it save the school money on operational costs, but it would also help to foster a spirit of conservation and environmental stewardship among the students and faculty.”

Peters also notes that customers of solar energy investments typically end up saving nearly 65% of their original costs which would mean big savings for a school the size of Santa Fe. 

“Based on preliminary calculations, Edmond Santa Fe High School could expect to save $15,200,000,” Peters said. 

While solar energy seems like a no-brainer, some people harbor concerns about the lengthy installation and weather as a liability. However, with students and staff gone for 3 months during the summer, and the fact that Oklahoma is sunny for 234 days of the year (high above the national average of 204), those concerns can be easily squashed and outweighed by the pros. 

Oklahoma is moving towards a better and brighter future; a renewable one.