From Wyoming to Edmond… football player with the heart of gold

Annabelle Gentling, Howler Staff Writer

Already sporting Santa Fe merch in his green and grey, Damon Turner is a new Special Education teacher and football coach at Santa Fe High School. Santa Fe is lucky to have him walking the halls. 

Damon Turner is a former University of Wyoming alumni and football player. The Santa Fe football team is lucky to have him. As Santa Fe’s football record proves, his football skills are already being put to good use.

Mr.Turner was already teaching at another school when he heard that Santa Fe had an opening. 

“One of my friends used to be the head basketball coach here, I was coaching at another school and an opening came up, and he referred me and I came in for an interview and got the job,” Turner said. 

Mr.Turner also teaches Special Education at Santa Fe. The Super Wolves have a community surrounding them and Santa Fe each day. It’s that very community that Coach Turner appreciates most. 

“Just the relationships we build, it’s hard to have a bad day in Sped, all those kids make you smile all the time. That’s the best part about it,” Turner said. 

Mr.Turner is now part of the football team, the pride of Santa Fe, and a special part of the Special Ed Program at Santa Fe.  

Santa Fe has a tight-knit atmosphere and community, I’m glad to be a part of it,” said Mr.Turner.